Goal setting and the Big 8.
When you’re looking at upping your game and you need to set some new goals then consider that working with your meta models with take you much further faster and reduce your change of quitting or failing altogether.
So what exactly is a Meta Model. Well it the way your brain processes information, which can be changed through cognitive behavioral work or through a method that take none of your willpower, NLP or Neuro-Linguistic Programming.
But back to Meta Models, There are 8 general categories and I will tell you the overall picture first and then get into the details.
Generally we all use our personal meta model to communicate and process our reaction to any experience, and the actions and behaviors we take to do things every day is the filters of our brain. There are 8 factors.
So what are the eight factors, as we learn about them, you will quickly identify which ones are your personal filters and those of the people around you. Some people use a combination of each pair, but you will notice the weight is on one side more than the other.
The BIG 8:
The top 2 are:
Towards or Away: Meaning are you moving away from a one thing or are you moving towards something. “Away” typically has a fear element engaged? If you’re in “sales” these are handy tools.
Example 1: Is the person wanting to buy a car because their current car is unsafe, or are they feeling like they deserve to buy a car? If you know which one, you can use it to your advantage and “sell more cars”!
Example 2: As real-estate people you need to know are they looking for a safer neighborhood, a place their child can walk safety to school. Or, do they want a better neighborhood for the illusion of affluence? If you know this you can update your sales pitch and alter the course of events.
- I am overweight and worry about heart disease so I better lose weight. Fear is “moving away”
- I want to be healthy so I am going to quit smoking. This person is moving towards a better choice.
Internal/ External: Did you feel it or did someone tell you? What does that mean? A quick way to find our which way your brain functions is to understand your frame of reference filter.
- My boss told me I did a good job (external) It came from an outside source. Do they need the re-enforced value of someone else opinion?
- I know I did a good job, no one had to tell me anything, I just know. (Internal)
So if you’re selling to an “external person” listen for the clues, do they need to tell them; “you’re making a good choice”
- Or do you say, “I don’t have to tell you, I can see you’re making the best choice for your situation.”
If you’re in sales… and by the way… we all are, whether we are in sales or a leadership role, a Mother or a small Business person. Whatever you “do” Meta Models are being used and you can benefit from knowing about them.
Here are the next 2 biggies.
Matching/ Mis-matching: Listen for the language that your client uses. Are they comparing the similarities between cars/ brands are or they talking about the differences? How do you process things. Remember that many good sales people use these techniques and if you’re savvy you can make a better deal.
When you’re in sales, you want to be talking the “same Language as your client. Why? Because it builds rapport, and people are more likely to buy something from you if they think, you think the same way. Your client will feel you understand what is important to them and looking out for their best interests.
So if they are buying a car and talk about safety, listen to how they are talking about it. Are they asking you the differences between models or are they saying, “What other models have this feature?” Bingo!
Once/ Several times: I am a “one time” person, so I can get frustrated with my “several-times thinker” husband. He takes his “several-times route rather than taking someone’s word, he wants to read what other people have said, talk to a few people. I used to think he was the devil’s advocate, but now I understand that he is a several times thinker and needs to go through his personal process.
- One times thinkers act faster and may take your wisdom easier than a several-times thinker
- For several-times thinkers: You’ll need to have some articles close at hand, a binder that shows several different articles about the subject at hand. Maybe a famous person’s name that likes this too. You will need to offer a variety of sources to get a several-times person buying from you.
So that’s half, the others are important too, so before I have the “General thinkers” so don’t “qlick off”!
I will cover General next! Is that you? Feeling like it’s just too much info? Haha! You’re a “general thinker”… a “big-picture” kind of person. You’re the planner, give the overview but leave the details to the “bean-counters”
- General thinkers, just want the overview, so don’t bore them and lose them to your details. A couple big key points and that’s all their brain is looking for. If they want more “detail” they will ask you. If it’s a BIG truck, then stick to big trucks and don’t slow them down with a lot of unwanted details.
- BUT if you’re a specific thinker: You’re the strategist. You want to know how that will be done, what it will cost, how much interest, when will the payment be due. Maybe you’ll want the warranty and the details of that. If they are buying something from you they may be reading the label, the small print. They can get bogged down with the details at time but they always finish the job.
Contemplative or Action-Oriented: are you a “doer” or are you a “thinker”. How long does it take you to make your decisions?
- Some people like to have all their ducks in a row, others go by the seat of their pants, confident that they can catch-up on the fly. Which one are you?
In-time/ Through time:
- Spontaneous people are “in-time” They live in the moment, not too much planning. It about what is happening NOW! There is less stress for in-time people because yesterday is gone and tomorrow is only a dream.
- Through-time people look at the whole picture, they see where they are at today and what has to happen tomorrow, next week and a year from now.
Independent/ Team Player: People can be both depending upon the circumstance. If they feel comfortable with the level of knowledge that someone else has to lead with, then they can be a team player, but if they aren’t comfortable, then they will want to lead. Here are the differences.
- Self-employed people are independent
- A person that likes to work for others and doesn’t need to step into a leadership role
Now that you’re aware of the Meta model and realize the importance our internal filters play in our decision making, you can use them to your advantage. If you’re in sales, you can quickly use someone else’s Meta model to build rapport and make the sale now, or to build the relationship for future sales.
Using the Meta Model along with a person’s Representational System, you can skyrocket your personal, financial and career goals AND move beyond your current sales abilities naturally and easily. After you gain proficiency in the Meta Model and other Cognitive behavior, you will realize the untapped power of your mind. I call it your Super Power!
In summary, everyone communication and perception is influences by our Motivational Meta Programs, our Meta Model, Representational style. Being aware of these models moves us beyond what we currently think and the actions we carry out. Now you can gain these tools easily through NLP, and expand your success now. Before engaging the power of the Meta models, you would be limited in your success. I want you to realize and become aware of your personal unlimited mind power; your Super power is fun and easy to learn.
Learn your Motivational Meta Programs, the Big 8 Meta Model and Representational system and more. You can experience your Super Power NOW and reach your 2016 goals! And if your living in the moment… I can help you see your future “In-Time” today!
You can experience a FREE 30 minute consult with me by clicking on the below link. https://lifecoachadele.com/fulfill-your-destiny-work-with-adele/